IHS Campus

Previous ◁ | ▷ Next

 

The local board of education in 1925 revised the organization of the public schools of Independence into a 6-3-3-2 plan. Kindergarten was added in 1927.

In 1950-51 a study was made of the total education system of the Independence School District. As a result of this study, recommendations were made to construct a new building and to reorganize the educational plan into a K-6-4-4 type of organization effective in the fall of 1954. Construction of the new building began in the summer of 1952 and was completed in the summer of 1954. the building was occupied for the first time in September 1954.

Under the provisions of K.S.A. 72-6743 the Independence Public School District was enlarged to include additional school districts. Approval was given by the Kansas State Department of Public Instruction to become effective July, 1965. The new district was named Independence Unified School District No. 446.

In September of 1970 the junior college moved to new facilities and the high school was reorganized as grades: 10, 11, and 12. USD #446 is now on the K-2, 3-4, 5, middle school (6-8), and high school (9-12) plan encompassing the northwest quarter of Montgomery County.

Independence High School has been accredited with the prestigious North Central Association since 1911 and earned full accreditation as an outcomes school in 1997. IHS was also the pilot school for Kansas Quality Performance Accreditation and full QPA accreditation in 1995.